Congratulations on purchasing a home with us in 2018. You may remember us talking about you filing for Homestead. You must apply for Homestead Exemption before April 1, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. on your 2018 home purchase.
What is it?
Homestead is an exemption you can apply for on your property taxes. Every homeowner is responsible for paying taxes on their property, regardless if they have a mortgage or their property is paid for. The local Tax Assessor determines, or assesses, a value for your home and the land that goes with it that you are responsible for paying taxes on. Most of the time the assessed value is different than the amount of money you actually paid for your home.
Are you eligible?
Anyone who owns a primary residence in DeSoto County can file for Homestead. All you need to do is live in your primary residence on January 1st of the year you wish to file.
Why it’s important:
Filing for Homestead lowers the amount you must pay for property taxes on your home! Who wouldn’t want to save money for doing nothing other than living in their own home?
Where to go:
365 Losher Street Suite 100
Hernando, MS 38632
What you need to bring:
- A copy of your recorded warranty deed
- Your MS car or truck tag numbers
- Social security number for you and your spouse
- Your closing or settlement statement
- If over 65 by January 1st of the filing year, bring proof of your birthday
- If 100% disabled you will need to bring proof of disability from Veteran’s Administration or the Social Security Administration
I filed last year, do I need to file again? No, once you file once, you don’t need to file again unless you move.
Feel free to give our office a call if you have any questions! (662) 349-5550
– Donnie Chambliss & The DC Team, Crye-Leike, Realtors